Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Horrific crash - Yay!

I remember as a child going to the racetrack with my family and watching eagerly for a horrific accident! I didn’t actually wish for anyone to become injured or take pleasure in the idea of damage or suffering that would be caused by such destruction, but I watched for it with anticipation that was eventually deflated by a safe orderly conclusion.
As I got older that memory crossed my mind briefly sometimes and I thought it was odd that I had wished for such a thing.
While watching the news today I see a crash took place in the Grand Prix. The car was wrecked; the driver and many spectators were injured. And now I realize this story will be repeated over and over on the news.
I think this is the explanation for my confusion as a child. The media had shown me that a crash is spectacular and worthy of viewing over and over. Races that end without devastation get about ten seconds mention if anything.
I wonder if the news could be delivered another, more responsible way, that doesn’t glamorize disaster, loss, and suffering. I think it could, but not with our current system where shock = money!
We need to find a way to motivate our behaviors based on what is ethically and morally right rather than just what is most profitable otherwise we're doomed to a spectacular conclusion!

No comments:

Post a Comment